comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Genetically modified cows produce human milk
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Genetically modified cows produce human milk



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

And the Brits can make ice cream out of it.

Seriously though, is this a matter of legitimate concern or should we be welcoming the fact that kids may be able to some day move from baby formula to a healthier alternative to mom's milk? I admit the whole Frankenfood thing disturbs me, but I can't tell if I'm being a Luddite or whether my concerns are legit.

From the Telegraph (I also worry about linking to the British press. I worry that some of their publications aren't exactly up to our journalistic standards, but I can't always tell which is and which isn't):

The scientists have successfully introduced human genes into 300 dairy cows to produce milk with the same properties as human breast milk.

Human milk contains high quantities of key nutrients that can help to boost the immune system of babies and reduce the risk of infections.

The scientists behind the research believe milk from herds of genetically modified cows could provide an alternative to human breast milk and formula milk for babies, which is often criticised as being an inferior substitute.


blog comments powered by Disqus