comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Offal sales soaring in UK
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Offal sales soaring in UK



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

I can hear Joelle now asking "did you say awful?" While she's not a fan, I admit I love the stuff. I grew up eating Scrapple and still love it when I'm back in the US and over here, I love eating liver, andouillette, kidney and all of those funny bits. Pigs feet are without a doubt the tastiest meat from a pig, next to perhaps the knuckle. In my family we never ate any of this except for Scrapple because to my parents, it no doubt reminded them of everything they had to eat during the Depression when their families had nothing.

Over this way these pieces are eaten much more and I'm more than happy to try them all. One of these days I'll get to tripe though I'm guessing the Provencal style may be more to my liking than the version from Caen. If we're going to eat animals, we might as well eat it all and not waste. Either that or we could all go veg which is better for us anyway.

Onto the offal.

Take a sheep's heart, its liver, and lungs, mince together with onion, oatmeal, spices, and salt, and boil in the animal's stomach for three hours. It is, of course, haggis, and now, it seems, the English just can't get enough of Scotland's national dish.

UK supermarkets are reporting a surge in the popularity of the dish that poet Robert Burns described as the "Great chieftain o the puddin'-race".

Marks & Spencer has seen a 35 per cent increase in sales of haggis compared with this time last year, while Asda, Waitrose, and Sainsburys have all seen rises of more than 10 per cent.


blog comments powered by Disqus