The series is called "Five Questions" — I asked the same four questions of each respondent and tailored a fifth question to the person I was speaking with. You can see the list of questions by clicking here.
I'll say as an introduction, this is one of the best pro-progressive statements I've heard from Cliff. Schecter is clear and strong-voiced in support of progressive wins. May the Spirit in the Sky reward him for that.
Five Questions: Cliff Schecter with Gaius Publius, recorded at Netroots Nation 2012. Enjoy:
A couple of quotes I found interesting:
About progressives and Dems: "Now, I consult with Democrats as a progressive." He means what you think he means. More, please.
About the Progressive Caucus in Congress: "What would work differently is if you say you're going to do something, you do it."
Pause to ponder that. The example he used here was the Public Option in Obama's health care bill. Progressives said it, but they didn't do it. (My sad thoughts here; needless to say, agreeance.)
His answer to the question about the future (question 4) was interesting as well, thoughtful and nuanced. No one brought up what he brought up.
About the WeAct radio station Cliff is involves with, it's 1480 AM (WPWC) in Washington DC. Internet is WeActRadio.com. The lead talent is David Shuster, a man who has taken a wonderful path into the light (OK, I used to watch Ghost Whisperer.)
Cliff is not the first person I spoke with at the convention, by the way, who talked about a general strike. General strike — we should keep that arrow available in my opinion, for whatever that thought is worth.
The full list of "Five Questions" interviews includes the following. Links to names will take you to previously-published interviews.
- Alan Grayson, former (and perhaps future) U.S. Congressman
- Marcy Wheeler, of emptywheel.net
- Cliff Schecter, who comments regularly with Sam Seder at Majority.fm among many other places
- Tom Tomorrow, cartoonist with DailyKos and This Modern World
- Alex Lawson of StrengthenSocialSecurity.org
- Josh Orton, with Russ Feingold's Progressives United
- Frances Causey, producer–director of Heist, the documentary
- Chris Pearson, a Progressive Party Vermont state legislator
- Susan Smith, Progressive Caucus chair of the Florida Democratic Party
- Sarah Burris, labor activist and progressive youth organizer
(If you have trouble with this audio, please let me know in the comments and I'll address it as quickly as I can. Thanks.)
To follow or send links: @Gaius_Publius