comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Emily Loizeau: "Je ne sais pas choisir"
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Emily Loizeau: "Je ne sais pas choisir"



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

We did an Emily Loizeau song earlier, and it was well received. She's quite an interesting performer.

So here's another, a clever sly song about having problems choosing. Unlike the previous video, this is a studio performance with two other musicians.

The song, "Je ne sais pas choisir" ("I don't know how to choose", or "I just can't choose") starts with a sly, sexy verse, then turns (comically perhaps) more serious.

The sexy part, to get you started:

When I sleep all alone, I say, God it would be good
To share my bed with nice young guy.
When I share my bed with a nice young guy,
I say, to sleep all alone,
Oh God that would be good.

Chorus:
No, it's really true, I don't know how to choose
It's really annoying, you don't have to tell me.
No, it's really true, I don't know how to choose.
It's really quite disturbing, so just let me sleep.
Note the off-hand manner of performance; that distancing from the material is part of the fun of this piece — as is the Mozartean quality to the music. (Could you guess she's classically trained?)

Listen first; the rest of the translation (roughly) is below.

As you watch, pay attention to the man half-hidden on screen-right. From time to time, he reaches over the back of the piano to play his part one-handed ... and backward. Interesting.



So the first problem is choosing to sleep or not sleep with someone. Here are the other choices she can't make:
When I'm dining Indian, I pick Chicken Tikka
Then tell myself Lamb Korma would be best.
When, at last, I'm eating shrimp with grapes,
I tell myself I should have
ordered veg.
And some darker ones:
When I want to throw myself from the Pont du Carrousel
I say at last, No, life is beautiful.
When someone tells me, Life is beautiful
I want to throw myself
off the Carrousel Bridge.

When I want to die on Wednesday morning
I tell myself, This can wait till Thursday.
When I wake up on Thursday morning
I tell myself, I should have died
on Wednesday.
But the music is always light. A little masterpiece, in my opinion.

By the way, did you notice that the chorus always ends on an unresolved chord? Except the very last one. Nice.

GP

(To follow on Twitter or to send links: @Gaius_Publius)
 


blog comments powered by Disqus