comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: About those British Marines...
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

About those British Marines...



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

I've never served in the military. Hell, I'm not even permitted to serve in the military. So I'd be curious if some active duty or former service members, US or otherwise, would weigh in here.

Here's my question. When is it okay, if ever, for a member of the military, when captured, to participate in propaganda films on behalf of the enemy?

That's what the British Marines did, and today we're hearing why. They were blindfolded, tied up, and told they might go to prison for seven years if they didn't participate in the propaganda films. Now, when I heard that, I kind of shrugged and said "that's it?" We're not talking your auntie Josephine here, we're talking British Marines. Being tied up the enemy, blindfolded, and told you might go to prison just doesn't sound, to me at least, like a very good reason for a soldier to crack. I mean, look what we do to our prisoners - black hoods, electrodes on the genitals, dogs ripping chunks out of their skin, and more. The Iranians opted for simple threats of prison, and got everything they wanted.

I may be wrong here, and I'm happy to hear from real service members as to what their training is, what's expected of them. For all I know, maybe the British Marines were instructed by the Brits during training to do whatever the enemy asked of them. I have a hard time believing that, but perhaps it's true. And before anyone says "yeah, what would YOU have done?" - I'm not a Marine. If I signed up to be a Marine, I would honestly hope that I wouldn't be doing propaganda films for the enemy.

Am I totally wrong here?


blog comments powered by Disqus