comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: American Airlines bounced flyer over pro-choice t-shirt
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

American Airlines bounced flyer over pro-choice t-shirt



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Besides being just another lousy airline, American Airlines is now the thought police and the decider of right and wrong. The wording on the t-shirt may be offensive to some, but that's the point. It's hardly as offensive as the background to the problem (or charging $25 for checked luggage).

It's disturbing to read that American Airlines made a passenger miss a flight because the airlines team allegedly didn't like the message. The airline needs to spend more time thinking about how to improve its business and a lot less time bothering customers that may have different views than the employees.

[O]n the plane of the first leg of my flight home, I spent the majority of [time] sleeping, using my shawl as a blanket. Right before we were set to land the flight attendant from first class approaches me and asks if I had a connecting flight? We were running a bit behind schedule, so I figured I was being asked this to be sure I would make my connecting flight. She then proceeded to tell me that I needed to speak with the captain before disembarking the plane and that the shirt I was wearing was offensive.

The shirt was gray with the wording, "If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd f--- a senator." [Note from John: T-shirt itself had the real word.] I must also mention that when I boarded the plane, I was one of the first groups to board (did not pass by many folks). I was wearing my shawl just loosely around my neck and upon sitting down in my seat the lady next to me, who was already seated, praised me for wearing the shirt.

When I was leaving the plane the captain stepped off with me and told me I should not have been allowed to board the plane in DC and needed to change before boarding my next flight. This conversation led to me missing my connecting flight. I assumed that because I was held up by the captain, they would have called ahead to let the connecting flight know I was in route. Well, upon my hastened arrival at the gate of the connecting flight, it was discovered that they did indeed call ahead but not to hold the flight, only to tell them I needed to change my shirt. I was given a seat on the next flight and told to change shirts.

Due to the fact that my luggage was checked, changing shirts without spending money wasn't an option. I consulted a friend with a law background who told me covering with my shawl would suffice. Upon boarding the now rescheduled flight with shawl covering my shirt, my ticket dinged invalid. I was pulled to the side while the gentleman entered some codes into the computer and then told, "it was all good." I did finally arrive home to pick up my daughter an hour and a half later than scheduled.


blog comments powered by Disqus