UPDATE: I'm reminded by Marcy Wheeler that Abdulrahman al-Awlaki is actually the third American citizen killed by Obama's drone strikes. Samir Khan was number two, killed along with the elder al-Awlaki. Here's a news item from The Guardian. And here's Wheeler on whether or not Mr. Khan was a designated part of the al-Awlaki hit.
________
There's not much about this yet, but not much is enough (h/t tweeter Jason Leopold of Truthout for all links). First, on the death, via The Independent last Wednesday:
The family of a American teenager killed in Yemen during a US attack – a week after his terrorist father also died in a US strike – has lashed out at reports that the young man was a militant.Now from the daily press briefing of Oct 24, held by State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland (my emphasis):
Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, 16, who was born in Denver, was the son of Anwar al-Awlaki, one of America's most-wanted men, whom an unmanned drone obliterated with a rocket in Yemen last month.
QUESTION: What can you tell us about the death of Anwar al-Awlaki’s son in Yemen and whether or not it was a result of a U.S. strike?Great phrasing, Ms. Nuland. Assumes knowledge, is unsure of which official story to deploy.
MS. NULAND: I’m going to take that one. I’m not sure where we are on that one.
One day later (this morning as I write), the State Dept released this apparent follow-up comment:
QUESTION: What is our reaction to reports that the son of Anwar al-Awlaki was killed in a U.S. airstrike?Why do you care? Maybe because Barack Obama is ordering the killing of American citizens without trial.
ANSWER: We are aware of media reports that Abdulrahman al-Awlaki has been killed; however, we have not received confirmation of his death from the government of Yemen. We have no additional information at this time.
This is now two; his father was the first, just one week (Corr: two weeks) earlier. (Hard to kill just one isn't it?)
Wonder who will be next. I kinda think he likes this stuff:
"The Jonas Brothers are here. (Applause.) They're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. (Laughter.) I have two words for you -- predator drones. (Laughter.) You will never see it coming. (Laughter.) You think I'm joking. (Laughter.)"Wonder who Rick Perry would kill. Or Mitt "Tell me what to think next" Romney.
—Barack Obama at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner, May 1, 2010
GP
