An email went out to Obama supporters yesterday about "jobs." The email bashed congress, all of congress, and didn't mention once the word "Republican." This sentence particularly stood out to me:
It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.So now Democrats' in Congress share the blame that the government hasn't been focused on jobs? When, in all fairness, it was the President who switched tunes to the deficit reduction a year and a half ago. And it's partly the President's fault that unemployment is so bad right now, because he refused to heed the advice of Krugman, Stiglitz and others when crafting the original stimulus bill. They predicted all of this, and they were right.
This email from the President is a great way to help Democrats lose the Senate next year, something that they're already on the road to doing. Democrats need to stand up to the President, publicly, and tell him to cut the crap - he's been doing this from the very beginning. Otherwise, they deserve whatever they get.
From: Barack Obama
Date: Wed, Aug 31, 2011
Subject: Frustrated
To: xxxxxxxxx>
xxxxx --
Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work. Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.
Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.
But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities -- and it's time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.
And we must hold them accountable if they don't.
So I'm asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:
http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act
No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.
It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.
I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too.
That's why I'm putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs -- that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.
I'm asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we've got to do this together.
I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I'm asking you to stand alongside me today:
http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act
More to come,
Barack
