I may be a bit close to my money (a.k.a frugal) but this is still not a cheap option. It wasn't that long ago that passengers had a reasonable amount of leg room while flying as opposed to the knees in the chair space that exists today. I'm a pretty typical height (6') and find it very uncomfortable on the longer flights. The airlines continue to nickle and dime customers while still delivering generally bad service. Delta has to be either at or near the bottom of the barrel in terms of service though in general, airlines in the US are really bad. When you look at the prices, it's even worse.
Who wants to pay so much more and still be flying on Delta?
Delta Air Lines Inc., the world’s second-largest carrier, said it will add premium economy seats with more legroom on its longest international flights as it seeks new sources of revenue beyond basic airfares.If the airlines really want to talk about increasing jet fuel prices, why didn't they lower fees when the prices went down? That's about the time they started slapping new fees on customers.
The so-called economy comfort seats will have as much as four additional inches of legroom and recline 50 percent more than those in standard economy, the Atlanta-based company said today in a statement. The seats cost $80 to $160 each way in addition to the cost of the coach-class tickets.
Delta joins United Airlines in offering economy seats with extra space as carriers hunt for new revenue amid rising jet- fuel costs. United Airlines and Continental Airlines merged in October to create United Continental Holdings Inc., surpassing Delta as the world’s biggest carrier.
NOTE FROM JOHN: If you really want a more comfortable international flight, avoid US carriers like the plague. I've never been as badly treated, with as poor quality of food (and during a 9 hour flight, it actually does matter if the food is gross), as I have on US carriers abroad. It's almost as if US carriers (on international flights at least) think they're doing you a favor by letting you fly on their planes. On the contrary, I've always been treated well by Air France (and the one time I wasn't I got on the phone and the 800 number people fixed the problem immediately), and I recently flew a wonderful flight to Europe on Air Canada - probably the most fun-loving flight attendants I've been with on any international journey (and you get to practice your Quebecois at the Montreal airport, and buy maple butter!)
