On Friday, Sam Seder of Majority Report did a nice commentary on the Paul Krugman "Tale of Two Moralities" column. (Our commentary on that column is here.)
Seder does a nice job of taking apart a number of Conservative concepts, such as "narrow" (when they want it to be) construction of the Constitution, the so-called "freedom of contract" concept, and Senator Mike Lee's specious argument that child labor should not be federally disallowed because it doesn't affect interstate commerce (the infamous Commerce Clause that so many Conservatives wish to disappear).
Seder is especially good on this latter subject. I'll let him speak for himself.
Sometimes I too wonder whether we wouldn't be better as a country if we became a worse one quickly, instead of this achingly slow degradation that's being forced on us.
What if we woke up tomorrow, and child labor was legal in 22 states? (And you know which 22 would sign up for that, don't you? Hint: "Right to work".)
Most people would be appalled, and then we could get somewhere. Horrid thought, but if we're going to get to the bad place eventually, is it better or worse to go there in a way that maximizes a good result? Some would call that homeopathic medicine. In that sense, I used to call Bush II our Homeopathic President, except the fever never broke.
And no, I'm not advocating child labor, not by any stretch; I'll let Sen. Lee (R-Utah) do that. Lee, one of those retainers who sounds smart enough to know how wrong he is, and not care.
GP
(For what it's worth, you can access hand-crafted downloadable and embeddable segments of the new Seder show here. Just thought I'd pass that on.)
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff
Follow @americablog
Sam Seder on Krugman's Morals & Money article
More posts about:
GOP extremism,
paul krugman
blog comments powered by Disqus