Obama also expressed impatience with his liberal supporters for not understanding the deep divisions in the country – and that overcoming them was not simply a matter of a better message.Huh? Who asked you to explain anything to John McCain voters? Who cares what John McCain voters think? Did someone tell the President that we're disappointed with him because he hasn't gotten McCain voters on board? Hell, he's the only one whose mission in life is wooing people who are unwooable. The majority of the country voted for Obama, they're the only ones he should be worried about convincing.
“I will say that when it comes to some of-- my supporters— part of it, I think, is-- the belief that if I just communicated things better, that I’d be able to persuade-- that half of the country that voted for John McCain that we were right and they were wrong.
“One of the things that I think is important for people to remember is that-- you know, this country-- doesn’t just agree with the New York Times editorial page. And, I can make some really good arguments-- defending the Democratic position. And there are going to be some people who just don’t agree with me. And that’s okay.”
Second, when has this President defended the Democratic position on anything? He gives some speeches, occasionally, but launch an all-out "defense" of Democratic positions? Seriously? He thinks he's been doing that? He honestly thinks he's fought as hard as he could for his promises? Seriously? Did I miss the part where the President asked for the full $1.5 to $2 trillion stimulus that the top economists told him we needed? And even if the President believed he couldn't get the full stimulus, did I miss the part where he asked for the larger amount anyway, so he could blame the GOP for today's economic woes? That certainly wasn't one of those moments in which the President now laments he was being too partisan.
No one is asking President Obama to "make some really good arguments," like this is law school. We're asking him to fight for something, anything at this point.
Things are not going to get better until the President understands the problem. And he clearly doesn't.
