I'm liking her more and more each day. On the subject of the FDIC avoiding Geithner's Treasury and going instead to the banks for a loan to refill the coffers, she had some rather interesting remarks. NY Times:
Under the law, the F.D.I.C. would not need permission from the Treasury to tap into a credit line of up to $100 billion. But such a step is said to be unpalatable to Sheila C. Bair, the agency chairwoman whose relations with the Treasury secretary, Timothy F. Geithner, have been strained.So I guess I'm not the only person who is not enthralled with Geithner. The only problem is that if he went, Obama would probably move Larry Summers into that role.
“Sheila Bair would take bamboo shoots under her nails before going to Tim Geithner and the Treasury for help,” said Camden R. Fine, president of the Independent Community Bankers. “She’d do just about anything before going there.”
