comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Nazi POW to leave inheritance to Scottish village
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Nazi POW to leave inheritance to Scottish village



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Not the most typical story out there. He was taken prisoner in Normandy after D-Day and sent to the Scottish village of Comrie where he remained in prison until the end of the war. He decided to stay until 1956 before going back to Germany but he always appreciated the kindness of the local population. He even wants his ashes to be distributed in the countryside around the old camp. Amazing.

Speaking from his home near the northern German port of Bremen, he said: "I always wanted to pay something back. The people were very kind to us German PoWs. They did not treat us as the enemy. I had so many happy experiences in Scotland."

Speaking about his planned donation, he said: "I've always had it in my mind. I have no children and I live on my own. I came as a prisoner of war and I left as a friend."


blog comments powered by Disqus