Apparently companies are switching back to sugar, after decades of using high-fructose corn syrup in just about everything. Of course, the bigger issue - or at least just as big - is why companies are using so much sugar to start with? The amount of sugar in over-the-counter spaghetti sauce is just vile. It stacks up there with the amount of salt these companies put in food. I love me some sugar, and salt, but I find that cutting the volume in half in this products, still tastes fine. Whether it's Coke or Pepsi (again, a disgusting amount of sugar in each), cottage cheese (again, absurd quantities of salt), you can generally cut the amount of the offending additive by mixing it with some of the product that doesn't have the additive at all (artificially sweetened coke, or salt-free cottage cheese).
But again, the bigger question is why these companies are pumping ups full of absurd amounts of sugar and salt. I don't say this as someone who doesn't use sugar or salt. I love both. I use both. But the amounts our food industry use are made for the palettes of animals. It's no wonder we've become obese as a society. Congress ought to regulate this crap. And yes, people should be responsible for themselves, but try, just try, to find some prepared food at the supermarket that isn't loaded with ridiculous amounts of salt - and even when it comes to sugar, there's no reason for an unnatural amount of sugar to be added to tomato sauces.
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff
Follow @americablog
Sugar vs High-fructose corn syrup
blog comments powered by Disqus