comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Bay Buchanan: Hastert is toast
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Bay Buchanan: Hastert is toast



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

From CNN today:

BEST QUOTES FROM BAY BUCHANAN (PAT BUCHANAN'S SISTER)

"He has to go now. And I think the speaker himself will realize that.... There's no -- he should bite the bullet because of what he did know -- and that we're certain he knew -- six months ago, at least, which is that there was a predator in his midst, amongst his colleagues, who were preying on high school boys. You have to step forward. You have to stop that. Americans, all Americans, Republicans in particular, expect that of their leaders. And, so, that, in itself, says, he must go.... I think every single one of those congressmen who knew the basic contents of the e-mail that said "Send me a picture," that alone was a -- as I said before, that tells you there's a predator. They had to do everything in their power to stop the predator. They have to put the children first and stop the man.... If he [Boehner] knew the contents [of the emails], then, he, too has to go.... I mean, I can't tell you that they [the Republican base] are going to be excited because their leaders allowed a predator to remain in the Congress."

Asked who will tell Hastert he has to go: "Congressmen who would like to remain as congressmen."

ENTIRE TRANSCRIPT, BECAUSE IT'S THAT GOOD

BLITZER: But, even as we speak, this Kirk Fordham, a former aide to Tom Reynolds, is now suggesting that he alerted the speaker's office two years ago about this Mark Foley problem.

BAY BUCHANAN, CNN POLITICAL ANALYST: Wolf, if that's true, I think the speaker will be gone by the end of the day.

I mean, he can't sustain this now. There are Republicans already talking on the Hill, talking amongst themselves, what they should do. Many of them do believe he should step down. Others are remaining loyal.

I think this kind of revelation tells them he has to go. He has to go now. And I think the speaker himself will realize that.

BLITZER: Even if someone on his staff was informed two years ago, and he necessarily -- perhaps maybe he didn't know anything about it.

CARVILLE: Right.

BLITZER: He -- what I hear you saying is, he's the guy responsible, and he should bite the bullet?

BUCHANAN: He has to.

There's no -- he should bite the bullet because of what he did know -- and that we're certain he knew -- six months ago, at least, which is that there was a predator in his midst, amongst his colleagues, who were preying on high school boys.

You have to step forward. You have to stop that. Americans, all Americans, Republicans in particular, expect that of their leaders. And, so, that, in itself, says, he must go. (CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: And she's not a Democrat speaking.

CARVILLE: No. No.

(CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: She's a good conservative.

(CROSSTALK)

CARVILLE: I think Bay and I -- my friend Senator Alan Simpson, a Republican from Wyoming, once said, in Washington, you go from being the toast of the town to toast.

Speaker Hastert is toast.

BUCHANAN: Yes.

CARVILLE: And that's just what it is.

I mean, it's not -- I don't think this is -- and I think Bay, everybody, understands. I think the Republicans in Congress are saying, Mr. Speaker, our majority is in serious jeopardy.

BLITZER: But, James, it wasn't just the speaker who knew about this.

CARVILLE: Right.

BLITZER: It was the House majority leader, John Boehner, was...

CARVILLE: Right.

BLITZER: ... told months ago that there was a problem.

Tom Reynolds...

(CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: ... who chairs the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee...

CARVILLE: Right.

BLITZER: ... he was told about this. Should they go as well?

CARVILLE: You know, I think what the -- from just being -- trying to being -- help -- being an analyst here, without being too much of a partisan, I think what these guys are going to try to do is say, look, we have served up the biggest head that we can do. Let's investigate this and focus on issues that really matter to people.

Do I think it is going to work? Maybe not. But I think their strategy is going to be, the biggest guy has to go to try to stop this hemorrhaging.

And hemorrhaging, they are, right now.

BLITZER: Well, what do you think about -- and you -- I know you think the speaker should resign...

BUCHANAN: Definitely.

BLITZER: ... by the end of today.

BUCHANAN: Yes.

BLITZER: That's what you said. He gives him at least a week to make that decision.

BUCHANAN: A week is one week closer to the election.

BLITZER: But what about the other...

(CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: ... the other Republican leaders, who knew about at least some inappropriate...

BUCHANAN: I think...

BLITZER: ... contact, "Send me a picture," and that e-mail?

BUCHANAN: I think every single one of those congressmen who knew the basic contents of the e-mail that said "Send me a picture," that alone was a -- as I said before, that tells you there's a predator.

They had to do everything in their power to stop the predator. They have to put the children first and stop the man.

What did they do? I understand, in fairness to Boehner, he said he never knew the contents. He knew there was some kind of e-mail. And he went to the speaker. And he said to the speaker: Look, is there a problem here?

And the speaker said: I have resolved this. I have turned this over. It has been resolved.

Well, to me, that would have been doing enough, because he checked it out. He didn't know the contents.

BLITZER: I want to ask you about the...

BUCHANAN: If he knew the contents, then, he, too has to go.

BLITZER: ... the impact among the conservative base in a moment.

But what about the suggestion that Foley, who was a very ardent campaign...

CARVILLE: Right. BLITZER: ... fund-raiser, gave the Republican Congressional Committee...

CARVILLE: Right.

BLITZER: ... $100,000 over the past several months? Is that a factor in this, do you suspect?

CARVILLE: Sure, it's going to be.

I mean, you know, obviously, the Democrats are going to make this an issue. And why wouldn't they? Also, Foley has $2.8 million in his campaign account. I guarantee you that the Democrats are going to make it an issue if he tries to turn it over to Republicans. I seriously doubt if he will. I don't know what the law is, whether he can use it for his legal fees or not.

But, yes, the -- and the fact that Foley was the chairman of the subcommittee on exploited children. Yes, the Democrats -- and a very legitimate issue, by the way. You see this guy in the Virginia 2nd is using it. And it's not like it's unfair.

BLITZER: What is it going to do to the Republican turnout, the Republican base, this issue, come November 7?

BUCHANAN: It's not good news, Wolf.

I mean, I can't tell you that they are going to be excited because their leaders allowed a predator to remain in the Congress.

Now -- but the key here is, if they take quick action, if the other Republicans say: "Look, we take care of our own. We recognize this was wrong. We recognize our speaker, a good man, made a bad judgment call. We're moving him aside. We're bringing in fresh faces, where the -- you know, and we are going to move ahead," then, they have a chance.

But, if they wait a week or two, until the polls tell them they have to, then they don't look nothing like -- any better than the speaker himself, living by the polls, rather than doing by their natural instinct, as men and women who care about children.

BLITZER: All right.

CARVILLE: It is clear Hastert is not going to last the week. I don't think he will go this afternoon. But I think that people are going to see him right now. And I think he understands the position...

(CROSSTALK)

BLITZER: Who goes -- who tells him that? Who...

CARVILLE: I don't -- I'm not one of them.

But I suspect that... (LAUGHTER)

CARVILLE: You know what I mean? That -- you know, people from the White House, people from the Senate leadership. I mean, I have no idea. People from K Street.

BUCHANAN: Congressmen who would like to remain as congressmen.


blog comments powered by Disqus