comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Uh, George Allen's mother didn't bother telling him that his grandfather who was imprisoned by the Nazis was Jewish?
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Uh, George Allen's mother didn't bother telling him that his grandfather who was imprisoned by the Nazis was Jewish?



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

UPDATE: There's more from the Washington Post. It seems Allen and his staff have for a while now been seriously avoiding the question of his grandfather being Jewish. The man is just creepy.
-----------

What did she tell her son all these years, that her father was imprisoned by the Nazis because he was gay or a gypsy?

I'm sorry, but this is just a bit weird. I'm not saying that it was appropriate to ask Allen whether his mom is Jewish - I've been asked a lot if I'm Jewish, and it's usually not in a good way. But Allen's response to the issue is even odder:

Allen and his siblings also were raised as Christians. He said he became aware only recently that his grandfather, Felix Lumbroso, who had been imprisoned by the Nazis, was Jewish.

"I embrace and take great pride in every aspect of my diverse heritage, including the Lumbroso family line's Jewish heritage, which I learned of from a recent magazine article and my mother confirmed," Allen said in the statement.
Uh, this was your grandfather. How did your mother never mention the fact that he was Jewish? Especially since he was imprisoned by the Nazis. It never occurred to George Allen to inquire about his grandfather and why the Nazis imprisoned him? I just don't believe him.

I know the religion of all of my grandparents, and George Allen claims to a man of strong faith, so how could Allen not know his grandfather's religion? Especially when that religion is also an ethnicity - I mean, you don't know the ethnicity of your grandparents? You never asked mom in five decades what the ethnic make-up of your family is?

And let's remember, mom is still alive and apparently she only recently confirmed this to her son AFTER a magazine discovered it. It's not like everyone was dead and took the secrets with them. Mom was apparently hiding this family secret (or mom told George a long time ago and he's lying). That would be the same mom who is from French Tunisia where the word "macaque" is used to slur dark people. You know, the word George Allen simply "made up."

I don't really care if George Allen is part Jewish. I do care that yet again he is giving rather slippery and not-very-credible answers to questions involving ethnicity and race.


blog comments powered by Disqus