comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: What is Romney's hang up with Jews?
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

What is Romney's hang up with Jews?



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

I'm not Jewish. I'm Greek Orthodox. But I spent my younger years, a few decades ago, often being confused for someone Jewish, and more than a few times getting some pretty nasty comments as a result (someone actually called me the k-word once, but usually I'd get asked my last name, which I learned was code). That, and being gay, I like to think I'm somewhat more attuned to prejudice than the average straight white guy.

So I'm curious about the way Mitt Romney talks about Jews, and Israel.  It always seems to be about money and business for him. And he's a businessman, so that's partially excusable. But when you talk about a particular race of people being particularly good at business, and the people just happen to be Jewish, and you keep saying it, my jewdar goes off.

First there was this a few months ago, when Romney went to Israel:
Romney said some economic histories have theorized that "culture makes all the difference."

"And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things," Romney said, citing an innovative business climate, the Jewish history of thriving in difficult circumstances and the "hand of providence." He said similar disparity exists between neighboring countries, like Mexico and the United States.
Just struck me funny talking about Jews are 'culturally' good at business (and Mexicans aren't). I asked some Jewish friends, they agreed.

Then there's this, today. Romney's message to the Jewish people for their holiday season, taking place right now. Mitt yet again hit's that familiar them when talking about Israel and Jewish-Americans. The they're-good-at-business meme seems to permeate his thinking.

One more thing. Why is Romney's message to Jews hidden on his YouTube channel? If you go to the video, you'll see this this at the top of it:


Why is it unlisted?  Why is it only for those with the link?  I went through Romney's public YouTube page and couldn't find the video listed.  Any reason the Romney campaign isn't including a video about the Jewish people alongside the rest of their videos, since they're so proud of Jews' innate ability at business.

Like I said, just strikes me funny.




blog comments powered by Disqus