comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: My Swedish pancake recipe
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

My Swedish pancake recipe



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

And now a little diversion from politics.  This morning, as I often do on weekends, I made myself some Swedish Pancakes.  I've loved these things since my Aunt Rose (or Theia Rose, as we say in Greek) made them for me once during a sleepover when I was like 8.  My God are they good things.

If you've never had Swedish pancakes, it's a bit unfair to compare them to French crepes.  While the concept is similar, in terms of using a very wet batter, far more wet than pancake batter, the final Swedish pancake, while perhaps as thin as a crepe, is a much moister thing.  If you haven't tried them, do.  Only problem, they take a while to make - for me, for example, a single serving is perhaps six or seven pancakes (above left).  Here's a recipe I've tweaked from the Internet - the main recipe is for 2 or 3 people, the half (which I put in parenthesis) is for one hungry person.
John's Swedish pancake recipe (in parens, single person recipe)

2-3 large eggs (1 egg)
2 cups milk (1 c)
1 cup all-purpose flour (1/2 c) - to make them healthier you can use whole wheat flour if you can tolerate the flavor. I did make them with "white whole wheat flour" today, and they tasted almost exactly like "normal." Highly recommend. Just look for it at your grocery store, King Arthur is a good brand.
1 tablespoon sugar (1/2 T)
1 pinch salt (full pinch)
2 tablespoons melted butter (1 T)
1/2 t to 1 t vanilla (splash)
Use a pancake griddle or pan (or crepe pan, if you have one), put it on medium to medium-high heat and let it heat it a few minutes). Beat eggs, then add milk, then add flour and all the rest. Your batter will be very thin and watery, don't worry, don't add more flour, it's supposed to be super watery. Once well mixed, put some non-stick spray in your pan (optional) and pour in about 1/4c of the batter at most, maybe even less. Swirl the pan all directions to let gravity spread the batter to all sides of the pan, making a big circle.

Let it cook until the top is dry and when you peak underneath the pancake it's starting to brown nicely - depending how hot your pan is, this might only take 30 seconds, perhaps less (you might notice that when the pancake is cooked well it lifts and flips easily with a spatula, if it's undercooked it might be hard to lift up without ripping). Then flip the pancake and cook a little longer on the other side, again until it just starts to brown (I prefer to brown the first side decently, and the second side just a bit, to keep it moist). Then fold the pancake in half, then in half again so you end up with a triangle, move the triangle to your serving plate and cover it with another plate to keep warm.

Start again with more nonstick, if you want spray more nonstick spray (I find I use the nonstick spray every 3rd or 4th pancake), pour another 1/4 cup (or less) batter and do it all again. When you're all done, consider putting the serving plate with the pancakes in the microwave to reheat them a bit. Then serve them and eat them however you like to eat pancakes (I use butter and maple syrup, some people prefer jam or honey or powdered sugar, etc - I suppose you could even use Nutella).  Some people prefer to make little pancakes 3 to 4 inches diameter - I find it kind of inefficient, your call.

I just love these.  They're a bit of a pain to make for too many people, because they take time unless you have a large griddle or something similar. But if you like pancakes generally, these are to die for.  Enjoy.

PS You can certainly buy the Swedish pancake mix from the store, but for me one box contains perhaps 3 or 4 servings, that's it.  It's kind of a waste.  This recipe tastes just like the stuff in the ubiquitous brown box.  And it's just as easy, you will have the ingredients in your kitchen.


blog comments powered by Disqus