While Paris was getting snow, I spent most of the week over in London, where it was quite cold and humid. For years I've been meaning to slip in a bit of touristy stuff but somehow never manage. This time, I scheduled the time to do a few walking tours. After freezing my way through a very cold walk of The Tower of London (which was great, but gruesome) I made it back to the British Museum for the first time since 1989. Back then, I was a grungy backpacker and didn't even know where to start. A tour in any museum like that always helps one squeeze in the highlights. I especially enjoyed the Assyrian frieze, the Elgin Marbles (which will be returned to Greece) and the Sutton Hoo pieces.
I also did an interesting walk of The City of London. This is the oldest part of London, where the Romans first settled. Today it's the banking/insurance district, so lots of flash cars and people like the pompous ass above. While I've been there many times for work, walking the old medieval streets and learning more about the history was fascinating. I had no idea there were so many old churches (or at least, walls of old churches) in that area. We also walked by the spot where the first coffee house was established in London. The coffee houses were the first places where trading took place in England. Maybe next year I need to find more time to squeeze in a few more walks. It's such a fantastic way to discover a new location.
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff
Follow @americablog
Very important person
blog comments powered by Disqus