comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Yasmin Levy - Irme Kero
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Yasmin Levy - Irme Kero



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK


I'm recently back from my longest visit to the US in a few years. Fortunately we're a long way past the days when I was asked why I hated America for questioning the reasons for invading Iraq. That's definitely good news. I spent a bit of time in Boston which I think is one of the best cities around. Our good friend lives in Back Bay so not only is it an attractive area, it's well connected for transport and there is so much great food nearby. The people there are friendly and it's a great walking city (and lots of bike lanes too!) but if only it didn't have those winters.

I then flew into Houston, which I managed to avoid for well over a decade. Massive trucks and SUVs everywhere, lots of highways to get anywhere, not to mention the miserably hot and humid weather. Even worse, everyone runs A/C which I can't stand. That city will never win any beauty contests but at least the the Tex Mex food can be excellent. Also, Central Market (grocery store) is really impressive and a notch above Whole Foods. The prices were so high that I felt like I was shopping in Paris for my groceries. My most odd moment was when I visited a diner in the Montrose area, thinking it would be a safe haven from the right wing insanity that was especially popular outside of the beltway. (I love American diners.) Two guys walk in then proceed to talk about the first time they found Jesus. Check please.

After that I went through Philadelphia, the city that holds a special place in my heart after a dozen years there. The people were mostly the way they were when I left though I did stay with a friend who lives in Chestnut Hill, which went a long way to help me forget about other parts of the city. Even outside of the mansions in the area (certainly not where I stayed) the cobblestone main street and old 1930's houses have so much charm. What a cozy area.

My return back to Paris was greeted with the the RER (regional train) station closed. Oh joy, after overnight travel in a packed plane riding in cattle cart. I instead decided to jump on an Air France bus into town but the bus driver decided it was not going to be that easy. He refused to sell me a ticket, insisting that I had to purchase it inside from the ticket counter that had a long line. Interesting how others did manage to buy a ticket later. Even though I'd say it was the exception that proves the rule, there's the France that the world knows and loves.


blog comments powered by Disqus