comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Chairman and co-founder of VoteVets, Jon Soltz, going back to Iraq
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Chairman and co-founder of VoteVets, Jon Soltz, going back to Iraq



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

On this Veterans Day, we learn that Soltz is going back on active duty and returning to Iraq:

One of the most outspoken critics of the war in Iraq is heading back there on military assignment, likely as part of the last arm of a U.S. mission he has vehemently opposed.

Jon Soltz, the chairman and co-founder of VoteVets.org, a leading critic of the Iraq war, told the Huffington Post on Wednesday that he was taking a year of absence from the group to deploy to Iraq as part of Operation New Dawn.

"This has always been a possibility," he said. "I have always been a member of the army reserves, it is just not anything I talk about for legal reasons. The bottom line is, I can't if I'm on active duty, be in charge of VoteVets anymore."

"I'm not an idiot. I've known the possibilities of this for a long time," he added. "I get the honor to be probably in the last rotation in Iraq. My order is for 12 months and if you take a look at that timetable, December 2011 will be when all U.S. troops come out anyway."
Jon Soltz is a good friend of AMERICAblog. He has been a tenacious and eloquent advocate. He's fearless. And, he's been a stalwart ally in the effort to repeal DADT.

More at VoteVets blog:
In an email to the over 100,000 supporters of VoteVets.org, Iraq War Veteran and Chairman of the group, Jon Soltz, announced he is taking a one-year leave of absence from the organization to deploy to Iraq, as part of Operation New Dawn. He will reassume his position upon his return....

The group, however, won't miss a beat - continuing its work on the same issues of importance to veterans - from veterans health care, to energy independence - with interim Chairman, and Iraq War Veteran, Ashwin Madia, who has been the group's Vice Chairman since 2009. The rest of the VoteVets.org infrastructure will remain the same.

High profile members of the Board of Advisors expressed appreciation for Soltz's service, and the strength of the organization he helped to build.

"I'm proud of Jon for going back to lead the Soldiers in his unit in Iraq, and just as proud of what he's built and will leave behind," said retired General Wesley Clark. "VoteVets.org has cemented its place in the veterans community, and the organization that Jon started from nothing now has over 100,000 members, and an infrastructure that will allow it to continue its strong work, while Jon is in Iraq. I look forward to my continued involvement with VoteVets.org in the coming year, and well into the future."


blog comments powered by Disqus