You know how so many Republicans who make family values (Mark Sanford, John Ensign, Larry Craig, etc., etc.) turn out to be hypocrites? There's another version of that playing out in New Jersey. The GOP candidate for Governor, Chris Christie, is running on an anti-corruption platform. But, turns out, he's not so clean himself. It's bad enough that Karl Rove coached him to run for Governor back when Christie was a U.S. Attorney.
Today, we find out that Christie gave a loan to a colleague, but failed to report it. Apparently, obeying ethics laws doesn't apply to a guy running for Governor who claims to wear the mantle of anti-corruption:
A contrite Christopher J. Christie, the Republican former prosecutor running for governor on a platform of corruption busting and ethical reform, apologized Tuesday for failing to report a $46,000 loan to a top aide on his tax returns and financial-disclosure forms.Am I the only person who finds it odd that Christie was loaning large sums to his "subordinate"? I'd like to hear more about the relationship between Christie and Michele Brown. This seems very shady -- and shady in that, "there has to be more going on here" way.
“When I make mistakes, I’m going to admit them,” he said, adding that he had already amended some of those filings and would finish the rest by Friday. “It was certainly nothing that I was trying to conceal or hide.”
But Mr. Christie, who resigned last December as United States attorney for New Jersey to challenge Gov. Jon S. Corzine, stood by his decision to lend the money in 2007 to his subordinate, Michele A. Brown, whom he promoted several months later. He said he saw no reason to end that financial relationship when he left the office or now.
