comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: The krux of the health care dilemma for Obama
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

The krux of the health care dilemma for Obama



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

The NYT has an interesting piece today looking at a cross-section of Americans, and their feelings about the health care reform debate. To the degree you can trust the Times' cross-section, the responses are interesting, and very much alike. One pretty well encapsulated the article, and a lot of what I suspect people truly are feeling around the country:

Liz Wessen, 32, a manager for a market research firm in Denver, supported Mr. Obama in November. But that good will does not negate her nervousness about the money being spent in Washington.

“My only concern is that this comes on the heels of the stimulus package,” Ms. Wessen said from her home in the Highlands neighborhood. “Where is this money supposed to be coming from? I’m not sure if this is the best time to fix another enormous problem.”

Watching the president, she said she was pleased to hear that the Democrats wanted to prevent insurers from denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions and to allow those who change jobs to hold on to their coverage. But she said she wanted more specifics and wished that Mr. Obama would dictate terms to Congress rather than merely prod lawmakers to act.

“I think the press conference was more convincing people of his motives than it was to actually explain the program,” Ms. Wessen said. “I expected it to be more.”
Let's distill this:

1. Obama voter.
2. Concerns about costs. All the Republican talk about the stimulus being too large, and a waste, has sunk in, and may be affecting the health care debate - this is why the administration not fighting back earlier to defend the stimulus is now coming at a price. This is a point Joe and I make a lot - Democrats often fail to recognize that their actions, or inactions, on any particular issue, have implications far beyond the current debate.
3. Uncertain about "the times" - meaning, the economy has her rattled, and thus she's not particularly in the mood for more change, more uncertainty.
4. Details, details, details, where are they?
5. She particularly wants details from Obama himself - lead, don't follow.

Honestly, I still don't understand what the various bills are about. I have no idea how the legislation will benefit me specifically. And I have no idea whether or not I'll be taxed more to pay for it. I think those are questions every American is rightfully asking.


blog comments powered by Disqus