comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: If you have any Nalgene bottles, read this
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

If you have any Nalgene bottles, read this



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

I missed the previous stories on this type of plastic and have a few of these bottles in my travel pack. It's true that these bottles are great for travel and indestructible but you might want to read up and decide for yourself. The linked article has a photo, because Nalgene has two types of bottles.

My own Nalgene bottle story, after the jump.

Before heading into Laos a few years ago, I read that water could sometimes be questionable so I bought my own water purifying kit, just in case. Since I already had a few Nalgene bottles in my arsenal and loved them, I bought a purifier that fit the Nalgene bottles. Sure enough when we arrived in a remote village outside of Luang Namtha, the only water was what was pulled out of the river.

Even after boiling the water for almost an hour, it still looked like tea, with floaty things in it. I was still in Western form (i.e. only a few weeks on the road from my Paris flat) so I decided to filter the "water" with my new filter. It immediately changed from gray and chunky to clear. Hooray, my filter at least makes it look nice! As I drank this lovely clear water, the others in our group all begged me to use the filter.

It was the most hot and humid place I ever visited so it was easy to drink four liters or more every day. I also probably was sweating due to constant leach attacks, who loved me. I was a magnet for those revolting little things. Anyway, my great little filter worked its magic for weeks in Laos and has served me well elsewhere. I guess I need to find some new bottles though. I loved those plastic bottles, but this new story just creeps me out. Even more than those leeches.


blog comments powered by Disqus