comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Mitt Romney, life-long member of the NRA... for the past year
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Mitt Romney, life-long member of the NRA... for the past year



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Great snippet of an interview GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney did with ABC's George Stephanopoulos in February.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Let's talk about guns. You were supportive of the Brady bill, the handgun waiting period, in the past. You signed an assault weapon ban into law and you said, in the past, "I don't line up with the NRA."

Now, you...

MITT ROMNEY: Well, on that issue.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Now you're a member of the NRA.

MITT ROMNEY: Yes, and I know the NRA does not support an assault weapon ban. So I don't line up on that particular issue with the NRA, either does President Bush. He likewise says he supported an assault weapon ban.

Today we don't have the Brady bill because we have instantaneous background checks. That's no longer a operative or needed measure.

But I'm a strong proponent of Second Amendment rights. I believe people, under our Constitution, have the right to bear arms.

We have a gun in one of our homes. It's not owned by me, it's owned by my son, but I've always considered it sort of mine&

STEPHANOPOULOS: When did you join the NRA?

MITT ROMNEY: Within the last year and I signed up for a lifelong membership.


blog comments powered by Disqus