comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: CNN host asks newly-elected US congressman to "prove" that he's not working with our enemies, simply because he's Muslim
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

CNN host asks newly-elected US congressman to "prove" that he's not working with our enemies, simply because he's Muslim



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Fire this guy. This is beneath CNN. If we want to watch bigots on national TV, we can go to FOX. We don't need this kind of crap on a network that, in spite of what many of our commenters seem to feel, I still have a lot of respect for. And the idea that somehow this is simply "politically incorrect," which is what the CNN host, conservative shock-jock Glenn Beck, claimed (in an effort to make his racist question seem okay), is equally abhorrent. It is not "politically incorrect" to ask a Muslim-American to "prove" that he's not a terrorist simply because he's a Muslim. It's racism and bigotry and intolerance and prejudice. It's digusting and un-American. Calling it politically incorrect only further diminishes the offense.

I've been asked to go on Beck's show before, and I said no. I told his producer that the man is a pig and I don't do pigs. CNN needs to decide what kind of network it wants to be. But FOX News with a hood is hardly a goal anyone should aspire to, let alone a network that is better than this.

Here's the interview, and Media Matters has the video:

On the November 14 edition of his CNN Headline News program, Glenn Beck interviewed Rep.-elect Keith Ellison (D-MN), who became the first Muslim ever elected to Congress on November 7, and asked Ellison if he could "have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards up on the table." After Ellison agreed, Beck said: "I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' " Beck added: "I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."


blog comments powered by Disqus