comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Please consider making a donation to AMERICAblog, if you can
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Please consider making a donation to AMERICAblog, if you can



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

This is another of my from-time-to-time requests and reminders that I'm now working on the blog full-time, it's my main source of income, and thus I'd appreciate folks considering it like any other magazine. If you like AMERICAblog, consider making a donation (buying a subscription?).

And also, keep in mind that this is really more than a magazine. We're akin, in many ways, to a large advocacy non-profit - we do the same work on the same issues and are as effective, if not more, than many of the top groups, in my opinion. And we know folks donate to the large non-profits - a lot of their executive directors make over $200,000 a year (they really do).

Now, I don't have a problem with paying that kind of salary for quality people, in fact I think you get what you pay for, and I'm often a harsh critic of people who complain that non-profit EDs make good salaries. Why shouldn't they? I'd have a hard time placing a minimal value on my civil rights and my country's freedoms. While $200k isn't exactly the salary range I'm shooting for, my point is that folks donate lots of money for the advocacy work of the large groups and I'd ask that you consider doing the same for blog advocacy, and don't forget the work of the other blogs you may read, big and small. A lot of people are donating a lot of time and effort doing some amazing work. They deserve to be well-paid, especially considering the impact they're having.

Ok, enough of the pitch :-) Thanks as always, and feel free to use the donate button at the top of the "make a donation" button at the top of the page to donate, or the address.

Thanks as always, JOHN

PS I don't want folks donating who are strapped for money. I occasionally get incredibly sweet emails from people who are of limited means and want to donate, and that's just not right, in my view. It's sweet and well-intentioned, but I'm just not comfortable with that. Please don't give unless you can, but if you can, well, don't be shy :-)


blog comments powered by Disqus