comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Mainstream media at its finest - The Sioux Falls Argus Leader (SD)
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Mainstream media at its finest - The Sioux Falls Argus Leader (SD)



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

What follows is an email exchange I just had with Randell Beck, executive editor of the Sioux Falls Argus leader, over a story he wrote, or commentary, about Gannon, bloggers, etc. In his commentary he wrote a paragraph about bloggers that I found offensive and condescending, so I sent him an email.

First, here's the paragraph from his column that I didn't like:

The frenzy to discredit Gannon - like the frenzy to discredit Daschle - became nasty and personal as bloggers (and some mainstream journalists) dug into his past. I won't repeat most of what they found; that's stooping to the level of bloggers, and it serves no good purpose here.
Note his use of the phrase "stooping to the level of bloggers." He's talking generically about ALL bloggers, not "the" bloggers, but "bloggers." Apparently we, as a class, have a level, and according to the executive editor of the Argus Leader it's pretty low. So here's the email I sent to Beck:
From: John Aravosis
To: Beck, Randell
Sent: Mon Mar 07 19:55:59 2005
Subject: stooping to the level of bloggers?

Mr. Beck,

As one of those bloggers who apparently stoop, in your view, I'm curious why you think a practicing male prostitute working in the White House and operating within a knife's throw of the president isn't a valid point of concern?

Now, I admit, I don't know much about South Dakota values, but I'm willing to bet that gay prostitution isn't real high on the list, especially when gay prostitutes are given access to the West Wing and the president, and find themselves involved in CIA scandals and more.

And as an aside, this blogger has a Georgetown law degree and has written for the Economist magazine, among others. You do your readers a disservice by pandering to the canard that bloggers are lesser journalists than you and your staff. Many of us have better credentials than many of you.

JOHN
I thought I was fair. And I simply, and not too rudely, pointed out that he shows disdain for bloggers in the story without realizing that a lot of us are accomplished journalists, etc. So what response do I get?
Subject: Re: stooping to the level of bloggers?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:26:37 -0500
From: "Beck, Randell"
To: AMERICAblog

Wow. Georgetown? The economist? Really? Us'n rubes is mighty impressed. Thank you for your comment. R. Beck
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
And people wonder what's wrong with the mainstream media. This is the guy who runs the entire newspaper.


blog comments powered by Disqus