comsc US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Bremer knew of prisoner abuse last November, Iraqi minister says
Join Email List | About us | AMERICAblog Gay
Elections | Economic Crisis | Jobs | TSA | Limbaugh | Fun Stuff

Bremer knew of prisoner abuse last November, Iraqi minister says



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

The departing Iraqi human rights minister says Bremer was informed of the Iraqi prisoner abuse last November:

"Former Iraqi human rights minister Abdel Basset Turki said US overseer Paul Bremer knew in November that Iraqi prisoners were being abused in US detention centres.

'In November I talked to Mr Bremer about human rights violations in general and in jails in particular. He listened but there was no answer. At the first meeting, I asked to be allowed to visit the security prisoners, but I failed,' Turki told AFP on Monday.

'I told him the news. He didn't take care about the information I gave him.' The coalition had no immediate comment about Turki's meeting with Bremer.

The minister, whose resignation was formally accepted by the coalition on Sunday, said he told Bremer about his meetings with former detainees.

'The prisoners I spoke to, they told me about how Iraqi prisoners were left in the sun on US bases for hours, prevented to pray and wash and left for two days on a chair and kicked at Abu Gharib,' he said. " - AFP


blog comments powered by Disqus